Jihadists in Burkina Faso Empty Entire Village of Nearly 8,000 People
By: Gabrielle Reyes, Breitbart, June 10, 2021:
Jihadist violence emptied an entire village of nearly 8,000 people in northern Burkina Faso over the weekend, Radio France Internationale (RFI) reported on Wednesday.
Roughly 7,600 people fled the village of Solhan in Yagha province this week for Sebba, the capital of Yagha, located nine miles away, according to RFI. Others headed to the nearby village of Sampelga, according to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
Solhan “has been completely emptied of people,” Burkina Faso Communications Minister Ousseni Tamboura told reporters on June 9. The displaced people from Solhan “include more than 2,000 children” the UNHCR reported on June 8.
A local government official in Yagha province told RFI on June 9 that “most of those who left Solhan, near the border with Niger, had already been fleeing jihadist violence, including in the Mansila district to the west.”
Jihadist terrorists stormed the village of Solhan on June 5, killing at least 138 people and seriously wounding 40 others, though “local sources put the death toll higher,” according to RFI. The attack was the deadliest in Burkina Faso by jihadists since Islamist terrorists launched an insurgency in the country in 2015.
The jihadists “burned almost everything [in Solhan], houses, the market, the school and the dispensary,” a local government official told RFI on June 9.
Geller Report read more